Here is a look this week’s show notes, product links and reference links for 5 Simple Garden Tools & Gadgets Every Gardener Should Own You can also check out all of our past episodes here at : ALL EPISODES
- 6 Simple Garden Tools For Every Gardener
- The Best Planting Tool Ever – The Post Hole Digger
- The Hori -Hori Garden Tool
Show Outline / Show Notes –
IMPORTANT REFERENCE LINKS:
- The Perfect Hanging Basket Plant – Million Bells
- How To Grow Hanging Baskets From Seed
- Fertilizing Hanging Baskets
- Worm Castings – The Perfect All Purpose Fertilizer
Show Outline / Show Notes – 8 Simple Garden Tools & Gadgets Every Gardener Should Own
Gardening doesn’t have to be expensive
- Don’t have to have expensive tools like a rototiller, etc
- 8 common everyday tools that really come in handy
- A few unconventional tools that work well
- Tools with multiple uses
#1 Post Hole Digger
- -Farm story, had to use it out of necessity
- planted garden fast, deep holes, perfect for transplants
- saves on your back
- saves on the dirt you have to dig up
#2 Drill Auger / Planting Auger
- Fits into a common battery powered drill, but has great power drilling into the soil
- Not just perfect for planting flowers, but vegetables too.
- Loosens the hole with ease
- available in multiple sizes and widths
#3 Soil Temperature / Moisture Probe
- Inexpensive, but so useful
- Some are individual, multiple tools with multiple readings
- soil temp important for spring planting
- Moisture can help save you from mistakes of over / under watering
- great when raising seedlings too!
#4 The 5 Gallon Bucket
- Probably the most used and useful tool we own
- keeps weeds / garden neat
- easy to carry
- use to keep soil from mulch, etc.
- drill one with holes to let moisture escape
#5 Camera / Cell Phone Camera
- Nothing beats taking a record of your garden with a photo
- Never ever trust your memory!
- Great for photos of pests, plants, and layout
- Can also take seasonal photos of how things performed.
- And of course, to show off to your friends!
#6 Hand Held Ratcheting Pruners
For pruning and harvesting, one great pair of sharp, ratcheting pruners is a must.
A good pair of pruners make life easy in the garden. Not only are they perfect for pruning back and up under tomatoes and peppers, but also are wonderful for cutting off and harvesting cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon and more. In fact, it’s much better for your plants to cut these crops instead of pulling them from the vines.
#7 Hori Hori Garden Knife
- Not only digs out weeds, but cuts them too
- Lightweight but strong too.
- So versatile, we use it everywhere!
#8 A Sense Of Humor!
100% Free – but priceless
The simple fact is that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, things are going to go awry in the garden. Maybe it’s that cute little bunny that mows down your lettuce crop overnight. Or maybe you didn’t listen to your wife when she asked you if the chickens were in and you said yes…only to realize later they were not in…and instead they were the ones mowing down your lettuce crop. (hmm..think that happened to me? 🙂 )
Whatever happens in your garden, just remember to keep your sense of humor about it and have FUN!